Sunday, December 28, 2008

More Recent Events

Just hanging out right now, waiting for the vet to open...

Went out last night to Anne's brother's house in Belle Mead for her family's Christmas gathering. I was the new guy there, though I did know a few of her relatives from Thanksgiving: plenty of brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, cousins playing Guitar Hero in the basement etc, it was a pretty cool evening. Diner was Thai meatballs plus lots of other stuff, and dessert was cake and cookies. Coffee, Pictionary, a gift exchange, much fun but by about 8:00 we all were pretty glassy-eyed (though the kids were still all going strong), and things started to break up. We hit Brew Works for a nightcap after getting back to Bethlehem.

This morning we heard some rustling, like the dog was messing with something. Anne got up and I heard all sorts of commotion: Langston had found a giant Hershey's Kiss and ate it, about 10 oz of milk chocolate -- not enough to kill him but he probably had poisoned himself, and he sure looked very pleased with himself too, which only made the whole thing even more exasperating...

Some Googling of "dog" and "chocolate," a talk with the emergency vet, and a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting (which didn't work), and now we're just waiting to take him to the regular vet, who actually has hours on Sunday. Not sure what the story will be: symptoms of chocolate poisoning include over-excitability, but he's sleeping under the table right now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I hope he's all right. When we were taking our Pasha back and forth to Philly for thrombocytopenia, I remember a young gal running in with her small dog, almost screaming, "Help me, please. My dog ate chocolate candy." The attendants at the hospital didn't seem overly concerned until the gal said, "No, you don't understand. He/she ate the whole box of assorted chocolates." They grabbed the dog and took off with it. I have no idea what happened after that. However, I think Anne's is a larger dog, right? He'll probably be fine, but I think it's good that you're keeping on top of things.

You guys went out in that "pea soup" weather last night? Wasn't visibility poor? We could barely make out the Christmas lights on some of our neighbors' homes. I've had enough of this now. I'm definitely ready for spring.....and I'd like it to last a good SIX MONTHS instead of what always seems like just a couple of weeks.

Lest I forget, have a happy, healthy, prosperous, peaceful new year!

Don said...

Thank you Toni, and here's wishing the same for you and yours!

Langston weighs about 64 pounds, and ate about 10 ounces of milk chocolate, toxicity levels for which are 1 ounce per pound of dog, so he should be OK. He's been pretty mellow all afternoon, like he's suffering from a massive hangover.

I don't mind the weather! We just got in from a good long road ride, and I rode in the woods yesterday, and if it gets colder I can go downhill skiing, and if it really snows I can go XC skiing...

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love the way you make the best of any and all weather conditions, no matter what they may be. Good attitude. Wish I had it, too. As it is, I'm thinking about leaving up the Xmas decorations for a while. Once all the lights come down, it's really depressing to me. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe I suffer from SAD.

Glad to hear Langston's doing well.