Monday, May 19, 2008

International Society For The Prevention Of Plate Tectonics

Morning weigh-in (Friday): 165.5#, 8.5% BF (mission accomplished, I guess)
Morning weigh-in (Monday): 166#, 9.5% BF
 
Was thinking about change the other day, and it came to me in the the image of plate tectonics (well, the original vision came as rulers strapped to moving tables, but still): the plates are going to move, and if things hang up at the fault lines, then the longer the movement is resisted the more violent the inevitable release will be. My life has been like that lately.
 
(By the way, there actually is, or once was, a "Society for the Prevention of Plate Tectonics." I'm pretty sure it was a spoof.)
 
Speaking Of Earthquakes: I was in the coffee shop on Saturday, and some girl, reading headlines about the Chinese earthquake, became upset about the plight of the -- pandas. Three things:
 
1. There are 50,000 or so people, trapped under rubble and dying.
 
2. You push something to the edge of a cliff, and it doesn't take much to knock it off. The real threat to pandas is not earthquakes.
 
3. We might not be in any position to do much about the real panda problem, but (like the half dozen non-cute women who disappeared while CNN searched Aruba for the photogenic young blonde) there are many living things within our reach, which may be less cuddly or worthy of superficial attention, but which actually could use some help.
 
So anyway..
 
Friday night I hit Boulevard Lanes in Allentown for dinner, where my old friend Shannon is now running the bar & kitchen. Apparently they're about to drop $2 million to remove alleys and change the place into a real bar/pub/nightclub, but I'm not sure if I, or even they, know where they're trying to go with this. I hit the Funhouse after that, but it was lame so I went to Porters, where I saw Eric & Janna but they were on the way out -- just before they left though, Janna whispered to me that she was throwing a surprise party for Eric's 30th birthday the next night -- I was supposed to RSVP but I never got the invite...
 
Saturday was a brick workout, yoga, gym & a ride at Jacobsburg, interspersed with various errands and chores. I had just enough time to get home, shower & get a card/gift, and I was off to the surprise party. Pretty good time, I must say. The whole crew was there and we had a blast.
 
Yesterday was mostly just lying around, playing with the computer; among other things I posted the last of my North Carolina photos. (I also hit the evening yoga class.) I went to bed early, but woke up at like 2:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep until about 4:00 -- I blew off the early overtime so I could get one more hour of sleep, and it was the best hour of sleep I ever had...
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying.
I think the #'s are too difficult to comprehend so 50,000 victims seems removed from our reality and seems like some fiction.
You always need a human face to bring home the disaster so others can empathize & relate. (the role of brave photojournalists)

It's a mad, mad, world.