Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mourning In Springtime

Morning weigh-in: 166#, 8% BF
 
Picked up the bike last night, took it up to Sals and turned a hot lap -- 58 minutes (rolling time) for my standard loop -- on my new fork. The verdict is still out, I'm not sure, after one ride, whether I will like an air-only fork: it felt harsh & bouncy, but I noticed I cornered a lot -- a lot -- better, and of course I was going faster overall so maybe I was just bouncing more anyway. Ran into Doug & Eric, and Doug commented that the fork maybe needed more air pressure. I didn't want to mess with it on the trail but I'll be setting the preload tonight, and there are plenty more adjustments still to come.
 
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go: Well, my instincts were correct: going to Which Brew last night was the right move, because last night was the last night. (I can remember the first days there, just about the time I started blogging.) I walked in for some dinner, the place was packed and Brujos was playing "The Weight" -- it was all I could do to keep from crying, but things brightened considerably, and everyone was saying their goodbyes-that-aren't-really-goodbyes, or at least I can hope that's what they'll turn out to be. Last thing I ate there was a plate of nachos (I am avoiding wings, and I had the cheeseburger Monday), washed down with a couple of Franziskaners; I stayed until last call and, since they were out of Jameson, I had a Tullamore Dew & Ginger Ale to finish the night. What's past is gone, we've had five years and it's time to move on. So uh, until next time...
 
The Vision Thing: My "new" glasses (which I got maybe 4 years ago) finally shit the bed the other day, and I am now wearing the backups I bought at the same time. (I actually think I like the backups better than the ones I usually wear/wore, but they were less of a radical change from the old style I was trying to get away from at the time.) I could probably do with a new prescription as well, and will be dealing with this over the next week or so -- I must get my stylish friends together to help me make the right eyewear choice. Meanwhile, my riding glasses are having end-of life issues of their own, but I've had trouble finding replacements without resorting to stores I don't like. Things got even worse over the weekend, so when I got back from NC I bit the bullet and ordered new ones from Optics Planet. They already shipped and should be here tomorrow -- we'll see if they managed to get the order right on the first try.
 
Tonight is yoga, first time on a Wednesday in maybe a month. I am going to get my ass kicked. Meanwhile, I don't know where my next meal is going to come from.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing definite on when/where Which Brew will reopen? Hopefully, it will soon be back in business.

Don said...

There are a whole lot of rumors, but I have heard nothing definite. I know Kelly-Jo said she plans to relocate, but I doubt if even she knows yet where she'll end up -- which means that this is farther in the future than just a few weekends of "painting the new place." It's only been a day and I'm already at loose ends. What do people do on weeknights if they don't go drinking at Which Brew? Housework?

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwww, I feel so bad for you, Don. No! Not housework. That's a real drag. Take it from a pro. LOL Have you talked to everyone else who gathered regularly at Which Brew, to see where they intend to come together? At least it might be a little comforting being with the Which Brew regulars until something definite happens with Which Brew.

Kelly-Jo has lots of regulars, which must be very lucrative; so I'd think she's just as anxious as the rest of you to get things going again. Fingers crossed.