Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Wall Of Lies Between You And Horror

Morning weigh-in: 168#, 10% BF
 
"Weissman's cruelty was no less resourceful than Pökler's own engineering skill, the gift of Daedalus that allowed him to put as much labyrinth as required between himself and the inconveniences of caring. They had sold him convenience, so much of it, all on credit, and now They were collecting." -- Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow
 
"I ate all the rest, and now I gotta eat you." -- Monster Magnet, "Space Lord"
 
Gravity's Rainbow was supposed to be immoral, amoral, sprawling and pointless or whatever, but that's not true: it has a point and a moral, and that passage is the exact moral center of the book. I thought about that quote yesterday, both quotes actually, while watching that Humane Society video, and also when I saw this story about WikiLeaks being shut down.
 
Anyway, beans and salad for dinner last night after yoga, must have been some heavy beans though. Tonight is the gym, and I've got a crock pot full of pork chops & sauerkraut cooking away for afterward. By the way, I've got a call in to the travel agent, tour promoter or whatever, the Tuscany trip dates are in November, I've got the time available and I have decided to go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going???? Wow! That's something big to look forward to. What's the weather like in November there? I ask because I don't have a clue.

I can just hear you when you get back, saying, "You guys don't know what REAL pizza tastes like." LOL

I wouldn't count on maintaining a diet plan while you're there. How often does one get to savor true Italian cuisine? I think I'd eat myself sick.

I envy the art you'll see, the leather goods they have to offer, and (something you're probably not at all interested in) the wonderful jewelry the Italians are noted for..........and, of course, the flowers that I understand are all over the place.......and food, food and more food.

Most of the people I've heard speak of Italy absolutely loved it, but there were those who said they think it's a dirty country. I choose not to believe that, but you can let me know when you get back.

Don't forget to pinch a pretty girl on the butt. I hear that's acceptable in Italy. LOL

Have you been to Ireland? Judging by the pictures I've seen, it's gorgeous. Maybe you should plan a trip a year. That way I can live vicariously through you. ;-)

Don said...

I hear that venice can be a bit skanky, and Rome no doubt has its filthier sections as well as bad neighborhoods -- and I noticed, the one other time I was in Europe, that auto & cigarrette pollution were bigger problems than here -- but I hear Florence is absolutely beautiful, and in fact car-free in the old town, and the Tuscan countryside is just stunning. Not sure what the weather is supposed to be like; tourist is a little earlier in the year though.
Italian butts, when in Rome... I'll do my best to fit in over there, and will practice around town to make sure I've got it right before I go...

Anonymous said...

;-)

Anonymous said...

Okay! I'm crackin' myself up here.
This is for you to study. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVCuyrPk7P4&feature=related


Rated "R" Hope it works.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Donald!

Don said...

I watched part of it, but youtube is not dialup friendly...

Thanks! I am on my way, talked to the travel agent today.