Monday, December 03, 2007

Weekend Update

Morning weigh-in: 168.5#, 7.5% BF (zoinks! yeah good weekend I guess)

Lotsa schtuff happened this weekend -- no drama or anything, just many many events, so here are some highlights:

Friday night I rode with Larry P on the towpath, which was pretty nice. I'm hoping that this gets to be a social ride, and it looks like Larry is pretty committed though he probably will need to look into better cold-weather riding clothes. we ran into the Cycle Funattic peeps out riding as well, which made it look more like a normal activity... After that was a trip to Which Brew, but I got out of there pretty quickly, I was on the wrong side of the generation gap this time so I absconded over to Porters. Great band over there (Dan DeChellis Trio plus a guitar/sax player), and I noticed many Which Brew regulars, fellow refugees of a certain age were now also in the audience. Sigh...

It was still an early night though, because Saturday started with early morning yoga. Great class, very different, and the owner/instructor waxed a bit emotional announcing their seventh anniversary of being in business. Breakfast, gym with Dawn, then I did a mellow ride by myself at Jacobsburg until dark. Saturday Night was the Chain Gang Christmas Dinner at the Aladdin, which included fatoush, hummus, babaganouj, turkish coffee and a belly dancer. We also had our gift exchange; the thing I ended up with (some sort of dancing Xmas Muppet thingie) has "re-gift" written all over it.

Sunday morning I went back downtown to the Coffee Exchange for breakfast, and got to congratulate the owner on the birth of his new baby boy -- then we talked bikes. I was heading to Sals after breakfast, and his friend rode to the shop on his bike -- did I mention it was snowing out, and there was about 3" on the ground? Well it was, and we were duly impressed with ourselves.

Anyway, I went to Sals, met up with Bob R and another guy Matt, sort of a tag-team thing because they were finishing as I was starting, but we rode for a bit, from my starting point back to theirs, and then I did a loop on my own. It was freakin beautiful out, and the snow made the riding especially fun. (As I finished, another crew of riders passed me on the way in.) This was supposed to be a pre-trailwork ride, but when I got to the trailwork meeting place the only guy there was Trevor. Ground was frozen, not much we could do and a few phone calls confirmed that no one else was coming, so we bagged it.

Home, cleaned up, then I stopped back in at Easton Yoga for their holiday open house. That was pleasant and low key, just the way I like it: some conversation, had a little chai and cake, made an origami crane for their window decorations, and checked out the brand new stained glass windows they just got.

The last stop, but one, was seeing the movie Into the Wild with Brian -- we were basically the last two not to see it. Great movie, and I thought the basic story was stronger than the book (though I think the book was better, and it certainly was more dispassionate) -- Krakauer is a great writer, but his tone and point of view can be a bit overwhelming. They de-Krakauer'ed the story for the movie though, leaving just the story of Chris McCandless to shine through. Like I said, great movie, but it sure was depressing, definitely not a feel-good hit.

Porters for dinner afterward, but I got there too late for dinner so I just finished my beer and hit Taco Bell, oh well. And that was my weekend!

No comments: