Monday, September 24, 2007

A Day In The City

Morning weigh-in: 173#, 12% BF
 
Had a most awesome time yesterday: 30 good friends on a bus ride to NYC, bagels & mimosas & Irish coffee on the way in, an afternoon at McSorley's Old Ale House (plus a trip to the Blind Tiger with a splinter group), then dinner at Carmine's. It was all good, but dinner was especially amazing since I'd never been there, and it was as impressive as people said: incredible food in gigantic family-size portions. there were eight of us at my table, and we ordered two entrees and couldn't finish them. Changing taste: I normally do not like seafood such as, say, calamari, but I was scarfing that stuff down last night like there was no tomorrow. And don't even get me started on the lox cream cheese...
 
Tough Call: I went with a few friends (Fred & Lara, Don G, and Jim & Allison) to the Blind Tiger, and just as we exited McSorley's my phone rang. It was my friend Joe S, calling with some very bad news. His girlfriend Dawn has a nephew Eddie (her godson, and they're very close), three years old and in the hospital awaiting a heart transplant, and he had just passed away. He'd been very ill recently -- even a cold is life-threatening for someone like that -- so they put him in an induced coma about a week ago, and now he's just gone. Joe had no other info, and since I wasn't in any condition to deal with something that serious, I told him I'd call today.
 
I gave him a lunchtime call just a minute ago, on his cell -- I didn't want to talk to Dawn about this, get her any more upset than she probably already was -- and it was Dawn that answered. And needless to say, she is pretty upset. I ended up walking around the building here, talking on the phone and crying. Man that was rough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a tragedy!!!!!! There are no words I know of that can make sense of the loss of a three-year-old. As I put myself in your shoes, I know it must have been rough for you to make that phone call; and, as I put myself in that family's shoes, I know the deep-down grief all of them must be feeling. My heart just aches for them.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of this trajedy.
It leaves a void in everyone's life who knows the family.

Sharing Dawn's grief was a very helpful gesture. I believe that sharing & listening to another's pain is so hard but so good to do.

I can't find words to say how devastating the little child's death is.