Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bambi Mocks My Stupid Camera-Phone


Morning weigh-in: 178.5#, 10.5% BF

Listening: Will Carrol, "Some Lunch."
Next Song: Duende, "Overboard (live)."

Karen W told a story last night, about when she was riding with her dog Shelby the other day, and the dog flushed a doe (with fawn) hiding in the woods, separating the fawn from its mother and chasing it down. Nothing happened to the fawn except it was separated from its mom, but Karen was worried & felt bad. I'm sure it happens all the time, they separate to avoid predators & then regroup.

I saw this firsthand tonight on my Merril Creek walk, when I flushed a doe with two fawns: one fawn took off with the doe, but the other fawn ran in the opposite direction. When I first heard them I thought "aha, bear!" and took out my phone, then realizing what was happening I stood quietly and allowed the fawn to come back. It got almost within touching distance, then spooked just as I took the picture. Doh!

I started hearing thunder so I cut the walk short, maybe 2.5 miles. On the drive out another doe crossed the road in front of me, followed by another fawn; I got a good look at this one as well, as it struggled to get up the roadside embankment. Then, not a hundred yards away, two more deer were on the side of the road; both were full grown but one was missing its front left leg. I drove out of there pretty slowly after that, which was lucky because a few more deer jumped out at me on the way home.

More Listening: Gary Numan, "Cars."
Recessional: Bad Brains, "Sail On."

Greg also told a story: he and Judy raced their new sailboat on Saturday, and won!

No comments: