Monday, February 20, 2006

Free Milk! Oatmeal In My Hair!!

Morning weigh-in: 181#, 13% BF

Friday night was a run rather than the towpath (wind, time constraints, whatever), then I walked downtown to the good old WB to see the Insidious Rays -- who apparently decided to put their worst foot forward, starting with their lamer and more annoying material, but the show got a lot better when they hit their stride with the "good songs" ...

Saturday was gym/chores. I was in the organic food store, and I wanted to get some milk but they were all out. A woman buying four half-gallons actually gave me one of hers, which was way cool of her. I think it threw a monkey wrench into her planning though, because she sorta forgot that it was already paid for by her, so I got my milk free. Don't know her but the cashier said she's a regular; I'll make sure she's covered next time she gets milk.

Saturday night was a party down by the towpath: "Bad Andy" had a wine-tasting party at the house he's fixing up. Electricity & a functional bathroom, fireplaces & coal stoves but that's about it, no insulation or internal walls except the bathroom. I brought some chilean merlot, sampled a bunch of stuff but nothing really made an impression. Had a nice creepy/scary walk there along the towpath (his backyard abuts the right-of-way), much longer on foot than I realized, maybe as much as 4-5 miles. I therefore left early, a little before midnight, so I could get home at a reasonable hour, be ready for morning.

Sunday was another crockpot of chili, and a morning ride with Doug at Lehigh. I filled the pot before leaving for the party, so all I had to do was just put it on the heater and hit the road. Good ride, though I felt a little under the weather, no real high-intensity endurance right now. Got home, took a nap and then ate chili...

Today I decided to work on the underlying cause of my recent/ongoing itch problem, namely dry skin. The humidifier is back on anyway, but I also went online, found a few home remedies to help with moisture. The key apparently is hydration of the skin from the outside, then preventing dehydration with oils. Showers are out, baths are in; soap is out, colloidial oatmeal is the new clean. I went and got some of that stuff earlier, poured a bath & soaked for 20 minutes, then put on a nice coat of sealant/moisturizer while I was still wet. Right now I feel sticky and greasy at the same time, and my hair is stiff with dried colloidial oatmeal (I don't think I have all the bugs worked out of my methodology), but my skin feels pretty good. Next I'll pop a benadryl to stop any allergy-related itching, and if that bath stuff gets too expensifve I have plenty in the pantry...

No comments: