Monday, December 12, 2005

Football, You Bet!

Morning weigh-in: 181.5#, 12% BF

Sunday of last weekend, as I was getting ready to leave for the Nesquehoning ride, my neighbor saw me and we got to talking. His daughter, 7th grade or so, is now playing clarinet so well she's in the high school band. The family therefore goes to all the football games, and he told me about the game the day before, when Wilson was down by maybe 9 points but won it in the last two minutes, which meant that they advanced to the state championship game. (Liberty High also advanced to the state championship, but in a bigger division.) Both those games were this past Saturday, and both lost -- Wilson to undefeated South Park, who came from behind to win at the end. Live by the sword, die by the sword...

So anyway, back to last weekend: We stopped to regroup on the ride, also to check out some stripmine reclamation, and one of the guys started going "Woo-hoo, Wilson! My alma mater's going to the championship!" and I was all like "Go Wilson! Down by nine points, two minutes to go and they pulled it off, what a game." Came out smelling like a red-blooded all-American rose.

Caught some MNF at Porter's last week, was able to talk intelligently about the Eagles debacle the next day at work. Saturday of this weekend I ran into a friend at the Quadrant (bookstore/coffeeshop), we shared a table, since the place is cramped, and discussed local HS sports rivalries. Yesterday was my brother's surprise 40th birthday party, the Giants-Eagles game was on, and I was all "hey you see those guys get stomped last week? Yeah, well, you're right, friggin' Giants could still blow it" -- and they almost did.

If this keeps up I'll have to buy some golf clubs.

Other highlights from the weekend just past:

Friday was the Chain Gang Christmas dinner, very nice affair at Everybody's Cafe in Stroudsburg -- we had a cozy room to ourselves, with awesome buffet-style dinner and our own private (cash) bar with bartender. Pretty swank!

Saturday was gym etc, then I was off to Gary & Gina's Christmas party. Was only going to stay a short while, but left around 2:00 AM, spent most of the time gabbing with old racer buddies Joe G and Gary.

Sunday was another mellow morning (rest day, plus more predator-prey population modeling), then my brother's party in the afternoon.

No comments: