Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Down at Ragged Rock

Morning weigh-in: 178#, 11.5% BF

"Ragged Rock" is what Chabon calls the end of the world (or "worlds," as in all the different planes of existence) in Summerland; it's a play on the old Norse legend of Ragnarok (aka "gotterdammerung" or "doom of the gods") the final battle at the end of the world, which makes sense, since a good chunk of the backstory & infrastructure in Summerlands is based on a mix of Norse and Native American legends: Coyote (the trickster, Loki of Outgard, Satan) is trying to kill the tree that holds up the four worlds...

But this got me thinking about another meaning for Ragnarok, or rather, another reference to it. I once read a sci-fi story, involving gangs, an intelligence-enhanced gorilla (whose intelligence the govt destroys, as a feasability study on how to defeat the gangs) and a computer system, reminiscent of ENIAC (or maybe Vonnegot's EPICAC), called RAGNAROK. Good story, sure wish I could track it down but can find no reference anywhere.

A short trip on the SS Linux: I spent a fun evening playing with this program last night, didn't even know I had it on my machine. Kind of clunky I thought, but amazingly powerful, and wicked fast even on the 3D stuff. So, what does cos(x*y)*exp(x**2+y**2) look like?

No comments: