Monday, July 19, 2004

Linux Voyager: of mice and modules

Morning weigh-in: 174.5#, 11.5% BF
 
Kernel Panic: built the new 2.6.7 kernel, but forgot everything I learned on the "training run" building 2.4.26 -- mainly, I forgot to make sure there was RAM disk support. (I need that for the initrd image, which I need for treating the CD-RW as a SCSI device, which I need for ... ) The new kernel's makefile has a generic "make install" which is pretty nice, does a bit more of the actual "put the files where they're supposed to be, with the proper names" part of the install. Anyway, a quick look back at this entry got me what I needed, and the kernel booted OK ...except the mouse didn't respond, and I got some kind of error that the mousedev module couldn't be found (among a bunch of other modprobe errors). So, I'm still using 2.4, and some further research/tweaking is required.
 
Meanwhile: No exercise, or anything else really, yesterday. I did some laundry and played with the computer, ate some Chinese food on the way to the supermarket, but blew off shopping after eating. Currently re-reading A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and the Silmarillion.
 
Dept of good news/bad news: Theresa is now working part time at Weyerbacher Brewery, for a few hours on Saturdays when they have tours. That is, tours with free samples -- uh oh! Just when I was really planning to watch my weight... 

No comments: