Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

Smackdown of the Odious #1: Randall Munroe takes on Ben Stein.
 
Smackdown of the Odious #2: Savage Love vs The Guy Who Can't Get Laid. (The comments are good too.)
 
Smackdown of the Odious #3: And it's Doghouse Riley with the winning run!
 
So last night Anne asked me what wisdom I would impart to someone just starting out in adult life. She had a list of things that she thought were important in life, but I took a different approach:
 
1. Get a job to pay the bills, and do fun and fulfilling stuff on your own time.
 
2. Find and patronize a nice, quiet local pub.
 
3.  If you're into something athletic or outdoorsy, train during the week so you will be able to enjoy the big events on weekends.
 
4. (Maybe an expansion on item #3.) Most worthwhile things/activities are more rewarding the more you put into them, but you will not get anything back at all until you give above a certain minimum threshold. A good example of this is the computer; a mediocre example would be the bike, which is always fun at least, even if other rewards are unavailable.
 
Anyway, that was at the Brew Works. Before that I rode the towpath, starting in good weather, which held until I was on the way home -- slight rain at first, then a half hour of thunder, wind and torrential rain. I must have rode right through the front, the storm was over by the time I got home. Pretty cool actually. I've been trying to get back on the fitness wagon, especially in terms of biking, and starting at the beginning of May I'd been holding medium-high mileages (100 miles/week), at least until last week's deluge-fest, which I took as a rest week. This week and next are supposed to be around 120 miles/week (and it goes up from there), we shall see -- tonight is the VMB meeting, when we talk about bikes instead of riding.
 

1 comment:

HMK said...

You sound very MATURE in your advice.