Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Eureka!

Morning weigh-in: 166#, 10.5% BF
 
You Down With DST? Got home last night, or rather I should say yesterday afternoon, and was on the bike by 5:15 for a hot lap down the towpath, my operating term for the ride being civil twilight. I had one mishap, when a stick kicked up into my rear wheel and actually broke off the tire's valve stem -- boom! -- but even fixing the flat I made it down to Freemansburg and then back home before the sun went down.
 
Another Revelation: Not much talk about good old biomathematics lately, but I have started messing around again. Most of what I'm looking at is background, less numerical/modeling than analytical, blah de blah, "...here we see that stability is determined by the Jacobian at the equilibrium point, whose determinant is purely imaginary in this case. Returning to the phase plane we find..." -- c'mon, c'mon, get to the good stuff!
 
Anyway, I have been seeing a lot of information about predator-prey and interspecific competition models, their derivations from first principles, underlying assumptions etc, and sure enough, Lotka-Volterra is problematic: the underlying assumptions are, as I suspected, simplified to the point of being incomplete. Hmmmm, just as I suspected... I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind the improved model yet, though.
 
Linux Trainwreck: Don't know what I did wrong, I thought I solved this last year, but my computer does not believe that it's Daylight Saving Time yet. Easy enough to fix I'm sure, just replace some old file with the current one, or I can do some research and do it right... Funny how I have so much computer/math/science on my plate all of a sudden, now that winter hobbies must give way to summer ones.
 
Sol Invictus: Sun came up as I drove to work today; for a while I was driving straight into a solar tower. God's fist smashing through the bell jar like some KMFDM video, yeah...
 
Tonight I may take a rest day, and if things work out -- as in, my Fed-Ex package of bike stuff arrives -- I'll be working on the Turner, getting it ready for Moab. (Otherwise it's alterna-workout nite at the gym, as my legs are shot.) Dinner last night was black beans and a salad, and that's probably what tonight's will be as well.
 
By the way, yesterday's "Donny the Revelator" did not refer to me. Just sayin'...
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
What's your schedule for March?
Is Easter in or out?
I know you have many commitments so it's OK if you pass.
We're going this week (Sun) to cemetery with Patrick to visit GM & GP's grave.
He died March 9th, 1987 11 yrs already
& of course GM died Oct 9th 2004
4 1/2 yrs ago.
Mimi John Emmett Nana & Papa are also in that grave.
Full house!
Patrick will go in Barth grave with Barth GM & GP my Aunt Helen and my sister Patricia (who died of RH factor at 2 weeks)
Cousin Maureen Garry is with her dad Bob bearby the Barth site.
Dad's relatives are in W Sayville & his mother & father are buried in a military cemetery in Pine Lawn LI NY
That is a grim task Dad & I have to address soon so it won't be your burden & your brothers' to find us a final home!
Well HAPPY EASTER with those parting words of death. Let's hope for a HAPPY HEREAFTER!

Don said...

That's quite a cheerful comment!

I am going on vacation in a week or so. I'll let you know my situation.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S a really happy thought!!