Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Guilt And Its Expiation

Morning weigh-in: 168.5#, 9.5% BF
 
Pretty good party last night, or rather "dinner," since it was a bit early in the evening and things revolved mainly around the food. Things actually were a bit subdued, but it was a school night after all, and there were a few no-shows due to the lousy weather conditions. (Speaking of which, the Pennsylvania I once knew is gone: once upon a time even the little old ladies would be barrelling through a foot of snow at 65 mph with now problem, but the driving, at least on the rush hour trip to Allentown, was as bad -- alternately chickenshit and hyper-competitive -- as it would be in NJ. The return trip, with worse road/weather conditions, was actually easier: there were fewer cars on the road overall, but the impriovement was mainly because the commuters were all home, and all the timid/stupid drivers were busy staying off the roads -- the average driver quality was much higher.)
 
Anyway, the dinner: we took Linda completely by surprise. She suspected nothing, and in fact had been ragging on Rich because he'd done nothing special for her birthday, and we got to do the whole "Surprise!" thing when she walked into the room. Priceless! The dinner itself was very nice, awesome group appetizers (prosciutto & mozzarella, et cetera), and I had the chicken piccata. Some days I just love capers. By the way, I do remember Carmine's, one of those quaint little hole-in-the-wall BYO places in Allentown that I used to occasionally visit back in the day.
 
Cake, coffee, and the night ended fairly early after that. I was home before 10:00. I took some photos, and posted them last night before bed; you know what to do.
 
I was not happy with what I saw on the scale this morning, especially since I'll be going out again tonight for the VMB meeting (an upstairs meeting room at Wegman's, we'll see how it works out). I'm going to hit the gym on my way home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A thoroughly entertaining "slice of life" depiction of your circle.

But you have no tolerance for travelers like me or my peer group!
WAIT!!! It's inevitable- the tables will turn!

Good for you to offset indulgence with punishing/absolving exercise.

Anonymous said...

Carmine's looks like a good restaurant- good for a private group.
Food sounds delish!

Do you ever have an uneventful wk/end?

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's!!

Don said...

I have plenty of uneventful days, I just don't talk about them...

Peer group, driving: Do you think I meant "older == crappy drivers?" Because that's not what I was getting at -- it's still a ways away, but the next phase in my life is retirement, and I don't think that there were too many retirees out in the snowstorm, on US22, during rush hour... Those people reminded me of why I hated driving across Staten Island on Christmas, or the people who made US9 south of the Raritan so chockful o'suck.