Thursday, March 01, 2007

Let's Talk About Flesh


Mia and Cici
Originally uploaded by Julie Cotton.
Morning weigh-in: 183#, 13% BF

Well, I signed up for the Perimeter Ride again, and it's getting closer so I better start toughening myself up... The ride's around 500-600 miles over a week, pretty tough but the physical aspects are really the least grueling: many of the riders are there because they lost someone and are seeking closure. There are the cathartic conversations at lunchtime, and the dinners where local survivors (or the parents of very sick children) thank you for what you're doing; "heartbreaking" doesn't even begin to cover it, but what always strikes me is the fierceness of the love these people have, you can feel it baking off them like a heat sometimes. (By the way, I found this particular photo in this flickr photo pool.)

For more heartwrenching, check out this post by Majikthise.

Perl Diving: I was supposed to do a ride last night when I got home, but I sat down at the computer and didn't get up until I realized it was after midnight. I restarted my web server, then started messing around with CGI and dynamic content, and then drifted into messing with perl's CGI module. Oh well, another training day shot, and it looks like rain for the weekend...

"How can flesh tumble and flow so, and never be any less beautiful?" -- Thomas Pynchon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At a wake for a neighbort's mother, we met one of the twins who lives near you. She asked to be remembered to you and suggested maybe you could go out(?)
Getting toughened up for Perimeter Race again- Good for you! well, we'll be happy to sponsor you like past years
April 1 is little K's 2nd BD
All the kids were born early in the year.

Don said...

Twins -- do you mean Heather & Kathryn? I believe one of them lives near Stroudsburg (or maybe just went to ESU). Who passed away?

Anonymous said...

Mr. H's mother died at 92. She was in a nursing home; had developed Alztimers (?) in last few years.
It was Heather who asked about you- thought maybe you could meet, get together. She has lived/worked near Stroudsburg ever since graduating ESU.
She's single again for about 4-5 years I think.

Anonymous said...

I just went through the pictures and felt my heart being ripped from my body. I'll gladly sponsor your ride. Tell me what I need to do.

Anonymous said...

You only have to see these children with smiles despite their illnesses to put life in perspective.

There would be an even greater response to the Ride sponsorship if there were more publicity.



I'm so proud of you and all the riders for their commitment to these kids and to their loved ones who have or have had cancer.