Tuesday, December 12, 2006

There Are No Ghosts, Only Monsters

Morning weigh-in: 182.5#, 13.5% BF

I was going to say something about Pinochet's death the other day, but better writers beat me to it: here's a little something from Sadly, No!, and here's where Steve Gilliard weighs in (he got that here, also very good -- but notice the trolls in the comments). It's really too bad I don't believe in Hell, now's a time I could use it -- I wonder what Isabel Allende is thinking right now?

Anyway, yoga last night, running this morning, dinner (and breakfast) in between was the last of the GoLean Crunch (aka Crack-In-The-Box, my favorite but extremely gassy cereal) that I bought the other day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allende will probably be excited to write of Pinochet's demise. Too late for her family though.
She has a new book out.
Would you like to give it to me for Xmas? Talk to me first though.
Did you read "Portrait in Sepia'? I never finished it.
I will now though.
I really liked "House of the Spirits"... very magical and otherworldly for sure. Meryll Streep was in the very well adapted movie version.

Don said...

I have to post a "request for wish-lists" today, but yes, I'll get that for you (will talk first). Never read anything by her.

Very few scenes in US/UK news of the giant street celebrations in Chile, they focused rather on the military (not state) funeral he received, with "as many as 3000 mourners." -- maybe it's vestiges of the Reaganesque "authoritarianism, not totalitarianism" man-crush they had on freaks like this. (Strange synchronicity with Jean Kirkpatrick's death, eh?)

Isabel Allende did give a public statement by the way, forgot where I saw it but suffice to say it was not kind.