Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday Rap

(Cast comes off tomorrow!)

Cooking/Eating: Had that chili last night, probably my best batch so far. Two pounds of stewing beef (cubed, not ground), two onions, one red and one green bell pepper, the ingredients from two of those "chili kits" (with Weyerbacher Heresy oak-barrel-aged stout), some canned corn, canned diced tomatoes and a can of black beans. I chopped the peppers and onions pretty fine, which I think made a big difference.

The only disappointments were that the meat, which wasn't all that marbled, came out a little dry despite stewing for eight hours (note to self: don't believe the crockpot cookbook, get better cuts of meat), and there weren't enough beans. I may add some red beans today now that the pot's a little lighter, but I basically had the pot almost filled and wasn't sure I could fit one more can of beans in last night.

A few tweaks here and there, but I think I've just hit upon my "standard chili" recipe. Work this one a few more times and I can start branching out. Pork & chicken, chili verde...

Meanwhile, back at the Super Dimensional Fortress: I fixed up some of my photo galleries, there was a problem with the HTML for navigation. I still don't know why my gallery maker script acts funny when I use it on freeshell.

No comments: