Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Winter Wonderland (Blood in the Streets Remix)

Morning weigh-in (Monday): 179#, 12.5% BF
Morning weigh-in (Tuesday): 180#, 12% BF

Catching up:

Friday Night I was supposed to ride with the Cycle FunAttic crew but they bailed, and as I was trying out my new (lightweight) tights and found them a little inadequate for the chilly wind, I cut my own ride short. Walked to Which Brew, had a bowl of that Italian chili and a lemon tart, caught a set of the jazz band playing (good, but heavy on the "fake book" standards); it was an early night. More computer follies, both before and after my evening activities. The name of the new game is octave.

Saturday was the gym, some errands, then out to Beth & Kevin's for their chili contest. I felt kind of bad, Beth went all-out as usual (prize packs, unbelievable food spread, backyard bonfire), and hardly anyone showed up -- she had prizes to 4th place, and there were only three contestants. I promised to make a chili for next year, better get learning...

Sunday was "the big ride in Nesquehoning," aka "the snow ride." About two inches had fallen across the whole Lehigh Valley overnight, our first real accumulation of the season. Roads were crazy as I tried to get up to Jim Thorpe: People were driving really slow, then I did a nice 200-yard ABS skid downhill to a red light -- after that I drove slow myself! Saw a serious accident on a curve on Route 248. Red stuff all over the snowy road, probably just some kind of automotive brake/tranny fluid but it sure looked like blood...

The ride itself was fantastic, beautiful scenery & killer trails that I'd never even seen before. Lot of guys there, a dozen riders showed up -- what's up with big groups and nasty weather lately? Pretty good bunch too, most were better than me, & there were some semi-celebrity hotshots in the mix. Hard going in the snow, but not really as hard as I expected, and we followed some ATV tracks on the way back to make time. Did I mention the beautiful scenery?

Yesterday: work (overtime), laundry, run, blah blah. Ditto today except I'll probably hit the gym.

Anniversary: today marks the 2nd anniversary of Mike K's passing. Gone but not forgotten, just thought I'd make a note of it.

Reading: The Recognitions, by William Gaddis. Actually seems easier the 2nd time around.

No comments: