Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Wow! Was I Tired...

Morning weigh-in: 177.5#, 13.5% BF

Blew off the gym last night, was waaay too tired and decided a rest day would be wiser. I'll probably do a road ride tonight if the weather holds, otherwise it'll be the gym. I did a little bike work yesterday instead, clean/lube etc, then greased the pivots and replaced the rear brake pads. Things look good for Saturday's epic at Allamuchy, but now they're calling for rain...

I also did a little computer chore-work, fiddling here & there, nothing major. Bedtime was 10:30.

Listening: Very interesting ride in today, I tuned in to WPRB which has classical in the morning. First thing I hear is some kind of Gregorian-chant-like thing, only there were women's as well as men's voices, and though it had that "big room echo" you could tell it wasn't cathedral/stone but wood/modern walls. They played a few more, one or two tunes were even in English. Turns out, the composer was born in 1960 - aha! The particular show spotlighted very new, and very old, "classical" music; next up was some rare 18th-century Croatian symphony, which struck me as ...Viennese. Maybe I was reading to much into cultural/political hegemony in each case, but I was surprised that my ear was still that sensitive.

Happy Anniversary! Today is the 1675th anniversary of the start of the Middle Ages, the day Constantine made "New Rome that was Byzantium" (aka Istanbul, aka Constantinople) the capitol of the Roman Empire. Eleven hundred twenty three years and eighteen days later, the Middle Ages ended with the capture of Constantinople by the Ottomans. Now you know!

No comments: