Sunday, April 18, 2004

Nice Ride!

I usually weigh myself at the same time every day, and under the same circumstances: immediately after getting up, no clothes, before eating, using the bathroom or exercising. This "official" weight should have most day-to-day variations at least partly nullified, but the downside is that if I forget to do it (like this morning), any weight measurement I take will not be "official."

Last night I went out to dinner, stayed out a little late (and I think you know what I mean), and woke up this morning tired, headache-ey and running late for a ride. Breakfast was a Clif bar and some water, then I was off to ride with the Cycle Funattic crew down to "The Baker" in Milford (coffee & muffin break, thank God) and back. These guys are hard, fast road riders, and the pace was blistering for almost all of the 35-40 mile ride -- the roads we took were very suitable for fast smooth flying. It was a great ride, and I felt pretty strong after I warmed up (major feeling of "this day is wonderful" while eating a blueberry-cheese croissant in the sunny MIlford street, sitting on the stoop at the Ship Inn, feeding the ducks in the stream), but it was a hard ride.

When I got home I did some reading in the bathroom (and I think you know what I mean) then got ready for a shower. Just for laughs I got on the scale: 173.5#. Like I said, not official weight, probably dehydrated and in a different part of my food input/output cycle, but so what? For one brief shining moment I was under 175#!! WOO-HOO!!

Just an observation: I did notice on the ride, that all these guys and gals have their roadie technique and interpersonal riding skills down pat -- unlike me, and I stuck out like a (possibly dangerous) sore thumb in the tight pacelines...

No comments: